Primary responsibility for all labor and employment matters across both the Beer and Wine & Spirits divisions. Significant experience with traditional management side labor issues, including but not limited to representing and advising management in connection with union representation campaigns, collective bargaining negotiations, strike preparations, labor arbitrations, and National Labor Relations Board proceedings. Experience with international labor issues, general employment counseling and employment litigation a plus.
- Responsibility for advising business units related to collective bargaining negotiations. Providing guidance on strategy to meet business needs related to wage rates and structures; health insurance, retirement plans and other benefits issues; productivity and performance issues; and other management rights. Will also be responsible for supporting any potential strike or work stoppage at facilities.
- Responsibility for providing legal and strategic guidance to Company in union representation campaigns, including but not limited to union card signing activities and traditional union campaigns involving NLRB elections.
- Responsibility for managing labor arbitrations involving various issues such discipline and discharge matters, management rights disputes, work relocations, subcontracting, layoffs, and benefits disputes.
- Manage matters before the NLRB and the Courts of Appeal, including defense of unfair labor practice charges, failure to bargain in good faith, conduct allegedly interfering with employee rights, unit and representation disputes and other alleged violations of the National Labor Relations Act.
- Provide proactive strategic guidance to business and HR to develop strategies and practices that create positive employee relations.
- Responsible for providing counseling to business units and HR teams related to employee relations issues (i.e. terminations, disciplinary actions), structure reorganizations, HR policies and procedures and RIFs.
- Manage employment litigation, including managing outside counsel and representing the Company at arbitrations and mediations.
- Conduct training to business units related to best employment practices.
- J.D. from accredited law school and license to practice lawrequired
- Minimum ten years of experience in management side labor issues and employment law, in-house experiencepreferred
- Strong written, analytical, verbal, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- People management experiencepreferred
- Superior interpersonal, organizational and communication skills; sincere appreciation for working as part of commercial team with wide variety of levels, roles and personalities in in-house environment; excellent professional judgment; confidence to act and provide legal advice independently; personal humility
- High proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint also required
ADA Physical/Mental/Workplace Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Lifting may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.