The Safety, Health & Security Manager (SHS) is responsible for the overall strategic and tactical SHS plans, programs and initiatives forthe facility partnering with plant management and employees to help Ashland achieve its mission and goals while protecting people and ensuring regulatory compliance.
The successful candidate will foster an employee inclusive safety culture committed to achieving safety excellence and provide leadershipand management to the SHS staff. The position supervises two direct reports.
- Manage and oversee the facility’s compliance with Ashland and OSHA requirements for Process Safety Management standard.
- Work collaboratively to oversee compliance for all process hazards analysis requirements: hazard and operability studies, dust explosion mitigation, explosion relief venting, etc.
- Manage the facility’s industrial hygiene and occupational health processes. Conduct and oversee all required industrial hygiene monitoring and ergonomic assessments to ensure that employees are not potentially exposed to chemicals and/or workplace physical stressors.
- Perform required personal protective equipment assessments to protect employees from potential exposure to possible chemicaland physical hazards from raw materials, intermediates and finished products.
- Manage all facility occupational injury and illness events including performing Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and human error reduction for all serious injuries and significant near hits.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA record keeping requirements.
- Manage the OSHA Compliance and Training Programs and keep the safety compliance programs current in accordance withAshland and regulatory requirements by developing and maintaining the plant Safe Work Practices & Procedures (SWPPs).
- Manage and target compliance with all the OSHA required programs including: hazard communication, respiratory protection, lockout tag-out, confined space, hot work, blood borne pathogens, hearing conservation, powered industrial trucks, fall protection, electrical safety, fire protection, chemical specific programs where applicable (e.g., carcinogens or listed highly hazardous chemicals), laboratory safety and emergency response.
- Lead and support the site’s proactive ZIC safety processes and leading indicators.
- Provide leadership and active support to facility’s behavior based safety process, Safety Culture Improvement initiatives, safety committee, and department safety committees and meetings.
- Manage and implement the site’s security and loss protection programs to conform with Ashland and Department of HomelandSecurity requirements.
- Provide Leadership and support to the Emergency Response and Hazardous Materials programs.
- Work collaboratively with Purchasing to manage the contractor approval and evaluation process.
- Keep abreast of impending SH&S regulatory changes and new regulations and communicate these changes to the organization.
- Collaboratively interface and work with Ashland Corporate EH&S and Other Ashland facilities Safety Managers as appropriate
**This job is based on a ladder structure and the job level (salary) will be determined by the quantity and quality of your experience.
**This position is located in Freetown, MA.
- Must be eligible to work in the US.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety and Health Engineering, Industrial Safety and Hygiene, or related field required.
- Designation as a Certified Safety Professional through the Board of Certified Safety Professionals preferred.
- Must have 10+ years' experience in the safety and health field in the chemical industry.