Henkels & McCoy, Inc. (H&M) is a leading utility construction firm providing critical infrastructure for the Power, Communications, Oil & Gas Pipeline, and Gas Distribution markets throughout North America. Founded in 1923, H&M brings yesterday’s experience to the evolving infrastructure needs of today. We consistently rank in the top ten of Engineering News-Record’s Specialty Contractors and have been recognized with an E.I. DuPont Safety Excellence Award for our safety performance.
Henkels & McCoy, Inc., one of the most reliable and innovative firms in utilities engineering and construction, is currently seeking a Lead Gas Distribution Engineer 4 to be part of the Technical Services group team. Successful candidates will provide design and technical leadership to a team of engineers, designers, and planners to lead a variety of gas utility oriented projects.
Major Job Elements:
- Serves as a Team Lead performing engineering/planning work related to natural gas distribution systems.
- Instructs and trains directs employees and others such as contract employees or sub-contractors working on gas projects.
- Meet with clients to gather technical requirements including client design requirements, their design criteria and standards, etc.
- Interfaces with H&M inter-departments including mapping, design-drafting and others, vendors, and sub-contractors in order to prepare the deliverables necessary for a project.
- Prepare preliminary and detailed designs, drawings and specifications to customer requirements.
- Preform sizing calculations for piping based on gas loads and hydraulic modeling.
- Meets with gas system owner/operators, developers, city, county and state officials and the general public on matters relating to gas systems.
- Review project requirements to determine necessary resources, time lines and budgets to ensure technical and safety expectations are realized to meet both, customer and internal specifications.
- Prepare man hour estimates and track costs throughout the project on a bi-weekly basis.
- Meet with or update Customer and H&M management weekly on the project status.
- Provide a bi-weekly project budget summary for active work. Keep a completion report of the project and actual man hours worked for each project throughout the year.
- Prepare construction plans, material requirements, and cost estimates for gas distribution projects.
- Ability to work multiple projects at the same time and meet all requirements.
- Communicate and resolve any design issues with customers.
- Comply with all safety requirements- reinforce all internal and external safety practices and policies. (e.g., OSHA, PHMSA, PPE, etc.).
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of manual redline drawings when required.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of electronic drawings using computer aided drafting systems when required.
- Coordinate access to professional/private facilities (e.g., schools, hospitals, military bases, etc.) when applicable.
- Perform field site meets; meet with developers, customers, local agencies.
- Understanding of local, county, state permit requirements (e.g., Traffic Control, encroachment, Right Of Way, easement, etc.).
- Field check design layouts.
- Office check designs and redline changes.
- Recognize process waste and suggest changes.
- Knowledge of gas systems including principles, practices, and methods of operation, as well as materials and equipment including piping, meters, regulators, and other materials common to gas distribution systems.
- Minimum of eight years previous gas distribution and or transmission experience.
- Graduation from an accredited university or college with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Gas Engineering or a related engineering field.
- Ability to recognizer and have knowledge of gas project design deliverables (by Customer).
- Knowledge of general Gas Distribution Design Standards, CFR 49, Part 192 code, related industry standards, and California PUC General Order 112E.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), and the general knowledge of the use of Autodesk AutoCAD software (by others).
- Civil, or Mechanical Professional Engineering (PE) license
- Ability to understand and implement the training of others with software and hardware related to Gas utility applications.
- In-depth knowledge of or ability to learn Southern California Gas, San Diego Gas & Electric, or Pacific Gas & Electric Gas, and potentially other’s system design and construction requirements.