Req ID: 22583
Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
The Improvement Advisor (IA) possesses an intermediate level skill set and knowledge in the science and methods of Process/ Quality improvement. Promotes organizational transformation by advising on the planning and execution of improvement efforts based on identified needs within the Finance Department and related to processes driven by Finance or involving Finance throughout the CHOP enterprise. The Improvement Advisor uses the CHOP Improvement Framework and related tools to help leaders drive improvement projects by acting as a consultant on improvement science and data driven decision making. The IA is capable of assisting less experienced team members.
Effort – The expectation is that time spent on projects will be:
- 80% Tactical (performing and owning technical aspects of a project)
- 20% Transferring Knowledge (Teaching, Coaching and Mentoring)
- Technical - Improvement
- Promotes organizational transformation by advising on the planning and execution of improvement efforts throughout the organization.
- Applies the CHOP Improvement Framework for managing improvement projects
- Exhibits an understanding of different types of organizational problems and can identify and apply appropriate tools.
- Assists clinicians, clinical leaders and administrators to manage and understand improvement measures, performance dashboards and score cards and to use data analysis to drive fact-based decision making.
- Technical - Change Management – With assistance able to work in a variety of clinical/business settings to orchestrate effective individual and organizational effectiveness, including:
- Assessing human systems to gather information about factors such as satisfaction, conflict, confusion, interest.
- Strategizing with team members to determine activities or interventions to create change in a human system.
- Effectively engaging employees in an open dialogue and other activities to address resistance and build commitment to change
- Developing communications strategies to support change
- Technical - Team Facilitation
- Effectively builds and facilitates improvement teams with clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- Builds effective sponsorship and process ownership (Accountability)
- Manages dysfunctional team behaviors when observed
- Building Organizational Capability
- Participates in formal and just in time training on CHOP Improvement Framework and tools to clinicians, clinical leaders and administrators.
- Demonstrates understanding of adult learning principles.
- Provides coaching and consultation on the use of a standardized approach to improvement work
- Patient Safety/Accreditation/Regulatory
- Works with leaders and staff to integrate Safety Behaviors for Error Prevention into one's work.
- Acts as an organizational patient safety champion, and supports patient safety concepts and methods and high reliability principles.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience; 3 years in a role where there is active use of quality concepts, tools and methods with a focus on healthcare.
- Project management experience.
- Experience facilitating teams that cross multiple departments and functions.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
- Master's Degree desirable.
- Certificate in quality management or patient safety strongly recommended. (CPHQ, CQM, ASQ certification, Six Sigma, Lean Certification)
- Exposure to data analysis to drive fact-based decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to achievement expected outcomes.
- History of working effectively in situations where there is a need to demonstrate leadership skills to achieve the expected results.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access
- Familiarity with Statistical Process Control
- Knowledge of organizational dynamics, change theory, reliability and safety science, improvement methods and tools, measurement and statistical process control
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when necessary
- Ability to work under stress and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills
- Customer service skills
- Demonstrates strong ability to prioritize work, excellent organizational skills and initiative to improve processes.
- Change agent demeanor. Must be a flexible thinker, with an ability to quickly adapt to a changing environment.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans.