HubSpot (NYSE: HUBS) is on a mission to help businesses grow globally. Thousands of customers worldwide use HubSpot inbound marketing and sales software to transform the way they attract, engage, and delight customers. Through its unique approach to company culture, HubSpot has also redefined how people work and live. Our commitment to autonomy, flexibility, and transparency prompted the creation of our Culture Code. Ensuring that our customers and employees are continually growing and learning has helped make HubSpot a Best Place to Work in the eyes of Glassdoor, Fortune, Entrepreneur, Inc. The Boston Globe, and the Boston Business Journal. Founded in Cambridge, MA in 2006, HubSpot has offices in Portsmouth, NH; Dublin, Ireland; Sydney, Australia; Singapore; Tokyo, Japan; and Berlin, Germany.
HubSpot is looking for an Assistant General Counsel to fill a leadership role on the HubSpot Legal Team. We are a relatively small team of eight lawyers, organized as business partners to the other functional teams at HubSpot. Reporting to our General Counsel and working with our leadership team and Board, you will have a diversified range of responsibilities including:
- Overseeing all public company compliance matters including SEC disclosures, proxy drafting, and insider trading management.
- Assisting with Board matters, including meeting agendas, calendars, new Board member on-boarding, meeting materials, and other Board communication.
- Managing M&A and strategic investment transactions with our Chief Strategy Officer and corp dev team, including deal structure, diligence, negotiation and overseeing outside counsel.
- Acting as legal lead as part of cross-functional team focused on global expansion (corporate formation, employment rules, and other regulatory requirements).
- Acting as business partner for Facilities team, managing lease negotiation with local counsel.
- Working with other various business teams on a variety of legal risks and opportunities as needed (the obligatory catch-all).
- Must be a graduate of an accredited law school with at least 8+ years of relevant experience, ideally with some in-house experience at a public company.
- Active member of the Massachusetts State Bar.
- Must have experience with public company securities filings, corporate governance, and M&A transactions.
- Ability to handle a broad range of general legal matters and work effectively with all levels in a crazy fast-paced, and transparent environment.
- Ability to make decisions and provide advice based on data, business needs, and the law and to explain the rationale for the decision to a curious and empowered team.
- Ability to develop strong relationships based on trust with business team partners, the leadership team and the Board.
- Strong communication skills, especially via an internal wiki, Slack and Zoom (it’s how we communicate).
- Desire to learn quickly.