Administrator Sr, Database
Less than 5 years experience • Telecommunications
Administrator Sr, Database - (17000334)
Administrator Sr, Database will provide expertise and be responsible for database creation, upgrade, backup, recovery, maintenance and software installation, and implement security measures to safeguard the company’s databases by applying database management methods for SQL Server, Oracle and other major database systems.
Position’s Customer(s): All internal business departments and sub department
• IT Development: Developers: Programmers and System Analysts
• IT Operations: Production Coordinators and Computer Operators
• IT Production Support: Production Support Analysts
• IT Systems: Administrators
• End user departments within the company
Responsible for on-going engineering, maintenance, planning, administration, monitoring and management of Database platforms and closely related software from multiple vendors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to manage at least one major database platforms: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Mongodb, Hadoop, or similar platforms
• Demonstrated knowledge of relational and non-relational (nosql) architectures
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability to use database procedural and other native languages
• Demonstrated knowledge and ability to write, troubleshoot and tune queries using SQL and other native query tools
• Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to manage database system tools and utilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to implement database security best practices
• Demonstrated understanding of relational database design and modeling
• Demonstrated knowledge of database and application patching tools and techniques
• Demonstrated understanding of database middleware tools such as application servers and ODBC, JDBC, SQLNet and database API’s
• Knowledge of application server installation and management
• Knowledge of and demonstrated use of change management tools and procedures
• Demonstrated trouble shooting problem analysis and resolution capabilities
• Knowledge of and demonstrated effective use of team collaboration tools
• Demonstrated knowledge of one or more scripting languages: Python, Perl, Bash, ksh, Power Shell, YAML, JSON
• Knowledge of other useful languages: Java, C/C++, Ruby
• OS Level Knowledge Windows or Linux:
• OS user skills are required
• Scripting required
• OS Admin skills are desirable
• Networks basic understanding of networks and firewalls
• Demonstrated understanding of authorization and authentication (Linux or Windows): Active Directory, Group Policy, Kerberos, Unix permissions
• Project and Task Management:
• Demonstrated understanding of task management techniques and the ability to prioritize multiple critical tasks appropriately
• Demonstrated experience using spreadsheet software and other tools for planning purposes and analysis of data
• Good understanding of project management fundamentals including project planning, risk mitigation, issues management and, platform and environment management
• Knowledge of Microsoft Project or another similar project management tool
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to clearly discuss and convey highly technical details and be able to produce charts and diagrams conveying design and architecture details
• Peer and Customer Relationships:
• Collaboration tools
• Ability to provide mentorship and assistance to lower-level DBA’s to promote technical development and enhance team problem solving capabilities.
• Ability to build and maintain excellent relationships with peers and other groups to ensure effective project and task completion and, customer satisfaction.
• Must be self-directed, take initiative and seek out opportunities. Assess and accept risks and learn from mistakes
Additional Job Requirements: This is a senior level position within the database administration profession. Works under minimal supervision and requires the ability to perform highly complex and diverse duties. Ability to make independent decisions and provide technical direction for resolutions. Supports and mentors more junior administrators. Is responsible for administration of databases and closely related infrastructure systems for optimum utility, performance, security, and reliability. Under minimal supervision, takes a role in determining strategy, developing architectural plans, setting team goals and the mentorship of lower level administrators. Will be responsible for the overall health of the database environments within their domain and is expected to take a proactive role in identifying and correcting trends and issues that might impact the short term or long term utility of those environments.
Essential Duties: Responsible for on-going engineering, maintenance, planning, administration, and management of multiple database platforms and closely related software.
Core Database Administration and Performance Management
• Perform database creation, maintenance, tuning, backup, recovery and enhancement tasks with minimum downtime and user impact
• Recommend, design and implement appropriate high availability (HA) and disaster recovery (DR) options for critical databases
• Identify and mitigate risks to database integrity, performance and stability
• Develop and implement security practices and patching that ensures data security and integrity is maintained
• Maintain manageability of large databases (1TB or larger) with partitioning, archival and other techniques to assure high performance and recoverability
• Design and manage database disk storage capacity with a goal of good I/O performance and prevention of storage related outages
• Develop disaster contingency and reliability plans
• Establish standards for database maintenance, tuning, backup, recovery, enhancement and security
• Design and develop automation capabilities for rapid instance deployment, configuration, maintenance and patching
Database Related Software Support and Administration
• Support Business Intelligence, reporting tools and data transformation software including but not limited to Microsoft’s Analysis Services, SSIS, Reporting Services, Alteryx and Tableau
• Support and configure middleware and database connectivity options such as ODBC, JDBC and Oracle MDAC
• Maintain Version control tools: Subversion, Git, Team Foundation Services
• Manage database monitoring and administrative toolsets
Planning, Project Support and Task Management
• Provide database support and represent the database team on active GCI IT projects
• Provide architectural and design consulting and support during project initiation
• Prioritize and manage DBA tasks within this position’s realm of responsibility
• Take an active role in developing and establishing team goals
• Take an active role in mentoring lower-level and peer DBA’s
• May be asked to manage database infrastructure projects that require a small team with some members possibly outside the DBA group
• Assist with data modeling, application design and application development
• Provide problem analysis and resolution support
• Provide SQL performance analysis and tuning support
• Develop database utilization standards and procedures for development teams
• Minimum three years for the degreed professional in the field of administering and designing relational databases to include:
• Administration and implementation of two or more, major relational or nosql databases platforms
• Oracle or SQL Server specific database administrative experience
• Experience with database related software such as MS Reporting Services, MS Analysis Services, Oracle E-Business Suite, or application servers such as Weblogic or JBoss.
• Telecommunications experience is desirable
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology/Systems or related area is required.
• Or a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
• Certifications: Industry specific certifications highly valued and may contribute toward education requirement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (in addition to DBA I, II):
Must have an in depth knowledge base of database administration. The skill set must be at an advanced senior level with developed critical thinking skills and design level capabilities. Projects and assignments are at a complex level and may act as the lead or mentor.
• Design level experience and ability to implement database high availability (HA) clusters and replication targets
• Design level experience and ability to implement and manage VLDB’s with high data throughput
• Project and Task Management:
• High level understanding of project management fundamentals including project planning, risk mitigation, issues management and, platform and environment management
• Peer and Customer Relationships:
• Ability to provide mentorship and assistance and direction to lowe-level DBA’s to promote technical development and enhance team problem solving capabilities.
Position reports to: Manager, Database Systems.
Number of direct reports: None.
• Visual acuity necessary to utilize a computer monitor throughout a normal workday
• Ability to perform repetitive keyboarding activities and operate general office equipment
• Must have the ability to communicate orally, both in person and over the telephone
• Must be able to lift and carry a laptop bag for an extended period