Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops a deep understanding of the mission of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia and the Federal Reserve System to plan and execute media relations strategies that position the Bank’s subject matter experts as thought leaders and promote its research to target audiences.
- Manages and builds the Bank’s sterling reputation of public service to the Third District and beyond.
- Handles press outreach to regional, national and international media outlets including print, broadcast and online.
- Builds and maintains relationships with all Bank departments and internal stakeholders.
- Directs the Bank`s participation in social media to do the following: monitor public sentiment about the Bank and the Federal Reserve System; promote the Bank`s economic releases, conferences, and initiatives; and build media relations.
- Keeps abreast of media stories and emerging issues impacting the Bank and produces a daily news e-mail of relevant media placements and articles relating to the Bank and the Federal Reserve System for senior leadership and Bank staff. Anticipates, prioritizes, and manages sensitive issues with the media. Works with Bank leadership on issues management.
- Develops communications materials such as press releases, fact sheets, and talking points for bank personnel.
- Provides staff with media training for successful print, TV, and radio interviews.
- Supports the Media Relations Lead in preparing the President for media interviews.
- Serves as the primary media contact when the Media Relations Lead is not in the Bank.
- Distributes economic data to the media, including embargoed data. Coordinates a monthly Manufacturing Business Outlook Survey press conference call for all authenticated media, which consists of regional and wire services reporters.
- Manages media databases and develops pitch lists of media contacts to promote Bank initiatives, research, and events. Provides content to the Bank`s web team for the home page on the Bank`s external web site. Manages relationships with outside vendors such as Cision and Factiva.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor`s degree in journalism, public relations, or related discipline; professional experience as a media relations professional or as a reporter, staff writer, or editor at a newspaper or business journal; and a minimum of 5 to 7years of experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of the media landscape; knowledge of the financial media a plus.
- Track record of developing strong relationships with regional, national, and international media.
- Experience developing and executing strategic communications plans.
- Excellent skills in writing for print, online, and broadcast.
- Experience in issues management.
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter; ability to articulate issues clearly and accurately.
- Must be proactive, responsible, and accurate, with an attention to detail.
- Ability to work with senior Bank executives on strategic development projects as well as media relations issues.
- Working knowledge of business or economics and an understanding of the Federal Reserve System.
- Knowledge of operations of electronic news services, newspapers, and new media.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Experience coaching staff for media interviews.
- Able to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- The ability to work using own initiative.