This position is primarily responsible for managing a staff that is underwriting all types of complex conventional and government residential loans; ensuring loans are underwritten in accordance with the bank’s and secondary market investors’ standards; training and coaching staff members when needed; providing guidance to support staff; and recommending modifications to underwriting procedures and policies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
1. Coordinates underwriting activities with loan processing manager and loan closing manager to ensure loan requirements are met.
2. Ensures underwriters notify loan production personnel of incomplete files so they can procure appropriate information necessary to complete loan packages.
3. Provides technical assistance to subordinate underwriters, loan originators, processors and closers in order to enhance volume, accuracy, efficiency and maintain superior customer service.
4. Keeps abreast of market conditions in the geographic areas where mortgage loans will be originated; evaluates, analyzes and distributes applicable changes and updates to production staff when necessary; recommend modifications to underwriting procedures/standards; responds to audits in a timely manner.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as requested by Executive Management or Supervisor.
- Completes all required compliance exams on a yearly basis.
- Adherence to all First United Policies and Procedures.
- Dresses professionally.
- Recommends to supervisor possible methods to improve department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Work Experience
This level of knowledge is normally acquired through the completion of a Bachelors degree and a minimum of 5+ years of residential mortgage loan underwriting or a high school diploma with equivalent work related experience of 10+ years.
- HUD Direct Endorsement Underwriter designation
- Thorough knowledge of underwriting procedures and real estate appraisal
- Thorough knowledge of creditor financial analysis techniques and mortgage credit evaluation
- Thorough knowledge of criteria, guidelines and government regulations associated with various loan types (i.e., FHLMC, FNMA, FHA, VA, Conventional, Private Investor)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Good PC skills, including word processing and spreadsheet software
- Ability to handle a high degree of attention to detail
- Encompass experience a plus.
Req Id 26744