Updated August 26, 2017
- Information We Collect
- How We Use The Information We Collect
- Disclosure of Personal Information
- “Cookies” and Tracking Technologies
- Do Not Track Disclosure
- Third-Party Ad Networks
- User Reviews and User Generated Content
- How To Access and Update Your Personal Information
- Newsletters and Communications from Us
- Third Party Websites
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Contact Us
Information We Collect
We may collect information about you directly from you and from third party sources, as well as automatically through your use of our Site and Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You
We may collect information directly from you. For example, if you register for or use our Services, we may collect your name, email address, photograph, zip code, company name, current or past employers, dates of employment, employee referral information, income information, resumes, and any other information that you submit as part of your profile or that may be useful in helping us to match job seekers and employers; if you pay for our Services, we will collect your payment information, including payment card number and billing address. We will also collect any other information that you provide to us, including information about your contacts and connections if you share such information with us.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also collect information about you from other sources, including recruiters and employers, publicly available information, social networking platforms, and other third parties. You may be able to connect other social networking accounts (e.g., LinkedIn, Google+) with your Ladders account in order to share your contacts and connections with us. If you do this, we will collect information about your contacts and connections (and any other information you grant us permission to access). We will use this information as set forth below. You may also be able to log in to our Site through third party platforms (e.g., LinkedIn, Google+). If you connect to our Services through a third party platform, we will ask your permission to obtain certain information about you from that platform, (e.g., email address, profile information and friends or contact list). In addition, we may collect information about you from a contact of yours who has shared your information with us, such as for referral purposes.
Information We Collect Automatically
We track clickstream data, viewing data, searches submitted through the Site and Services, and other data to monitor utilization and to improve user experience. We also automatically collect the certain usage information through cookies, web beacons, log files, java script and other technologies, including: domain name; browser type and operating system; web pages viewed; link clicked; searches, including search terms; IP address; date and time stamp and the length of time using Site or Services; referring URL (of website that led you to our Site). Generally, we use this information to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our Site, analyze trends, track users’ movement on our Site, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use in order for us to improve the Site and our Services, and to deliver customized, personalized content. We also may track and use your location information to customize information that we provide to you, and to display targeted ads on our Site and on third party websites. Please see the “Third-Party Ad Networks” section below for more information.
How We Use The Information We Collect
As permitted by applicable law, we retain and use the information we collect about you for the following reasons:
- Provide Services. To provide our Services to you, including to share information between and among job seekers, recruiters, and employers; to communicate with you about your use of our Services; to respond to your inquiries; to fulfill your requests; to authenticate users; to process payments; and for other customer service purposes.
- Improve Services. To understand how users access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences.
- Personalize Content. To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or Services.
- Marketing. To send marketing and other promotional information, including information about jobs and third party products and services in which we think you may be interested.
- Referrals. To make suggestions to you about your connections that may be potential referral candidates for open positions at your current place of employment.
- Business Operations. We may also use information in the normal course or our business, such as for accounting, reporting, evaluation, and internal auditing.
- Aggregate or De-identified Information. We may also use aggregate or de-identified information about users for other marketing, research and other purposes.
For our Canadian users, please note that we may transfer your personal information across provincial or national borders to fulfil any of the above purposes, including to service providers located in the United States and other jurisdictions outside of Canada who may be subject to applicable disclosure laws in those jurisdictions. The applicable laws in those jurisdictions might permit foreign governments, courts, law enforcement or regulatory agencies to access the information in those jurisdictions. You may contact us at the contact information provided below to obtain information about our policies and practices regarding our transfer of data or use of service providers outside of Canada, or to ask questions about the collection, use, disclosure or storage of personal information outside of Canada.
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose the information we collect about you, including your personal information, as explained below. You can make certain profile information private, by logging into your account and adjusting your profile visibility.
- Ladders Users. We may disclose the information we collect about you with other Ladders users. For example, if you are a jobseeker, we may disclose your information to recruiters and employers. If you are a recruiter or employer and you have created a profile or job opportunity, all information that you post will public and visible to jobseekers seeking job opportunities and other visitors of the Site. In addition, user profiles may be indexed and displayed through third party public search engines. Job seekers may make certain profile information private by adjusting their profile settings. Please see the Recruiters, Employers and Job Seekers section below for more information.
- Publicly Available Information. Certain information, such as your resume and certain profile information, may be available publicly through the Site and indexed through a search engine; job seekers may make certain profile information private by adjusting their profile settings.
- Affiliates. We may share the information we collect about you with any current or future subsidiaries or affiliated companies, who may use it consistent with this Policy.
- Service Providers. We may share the information we collect about you with our contractors and service providers who perform functions on our behalf, such as payment processing and data hosting.
- Other Third Parties. As permitted by applicable law, we may share the information we collect about you with unaffiliated third parties, including so that those third parties may market to you. If you are a California resident, please see the “Your California Privacy Rights” section below for more information.
- Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect about you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a subpoena.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose the information we collect about you to another entity in connection with, including during negotiations of, an acquisition or merger, sale or transfer of all or part of our business or assets, a bankruptcy proceeding, or as part of any other similar business transfer.
De-identified Information. We may also share other aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes. For example, we may share certain anonymous or de-identified information about you, such as your job title, educational history, years of experience, areas of expertise, salary range and other jobs you have applied to-with other job seekers
“Cookies” and Tracking Technologies
Web beacons. Web beacons (a.k.a. clear GIFs, pixel tags, and web bugs) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, which are used to track the online movements of website users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, web beacons are embedded invisibly on webpages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We may use web beacons, in connection with our Site, to among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our users, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Do Not Track Disclosure
Our Site does not respond to Do Not Track signals. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed above (e.g., by disabling cookies). For more information about Do Not Track signals, please click here. You may disable certain tracking as discussed above in the “Cookies” and Other Tracking Technologies section (e.g., by disabling cookies); you also may opt-out of targeted advertising by following the instructions in the Third-Party Ad Networks section below.
Third-Party Ad Networks
We may display targeted ads and personalized content to users on the Site and within the Services, as part of Ladders direct online display advertising, based on our user information as well as your activities within the Services.. We also use third parties such as network advertisers to display advertisements on our Sites or other websites, based on your visits to our Site as well as other websites. We also may provide these third-party advertisers with information about your usage of our Site and Services, as well as aggregate or non-personally identifiable information about visitors to our Site and users of our service.
To opt out of targeted marketing by us (including on behalf of others) within the Site and Services, click here. You may also opt-out of many third-party ad networks, including those we work with as follows:
- US Users: For more information and to opt out of ad networks operated by members of the Digital Advertising Association (DAA), visit through the DAA AdChoices page: www.aboutads.info/choices.
- Canadian Users: Users in Canada should go to the DAA’s Canadian AdChoices page: http://youradchoices.ca/choices/.
Opting out of one or more DAA member networks only means that those members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our Site or other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you later erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your opt-outs may no longer be effective.
Recruiters, Employers and Job Seekers
User Reviews and User Generated Content
In some instances we may select and post user reviews on our Site which may contain personal information such as the user’s name. We will obtain your consent to use your name, prior to posting the review. Also, in certain parts of the Site, we may invite you to post content on our Site, including your comments, pictures, and any other information that you would like to be available to other users or recruiters on our Site. If you post such content, it will be available to recruiters and other users of the Site, and may also become public. Ladders cannot control how third parties or other users use this information.
If you would like us to remove your name, review or other content from our Site, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org; please be sure to describe and identify the location of the content that you are referring to in your request. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time, and may be maintained by us as a part of our records.
How To Access and Update Your Personal Information
If your personal information changes, or if you wish to cancel your account, you may do so by making the change on your user information page or by emailing our Customer Support team at email@example.com (to make a change) or firstname.lastname@example.org (to cancel). Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time, and we may maintain copies of this information as part of our business records as well.
Also, upon written request and authentication of identity, we will provide you with your other personal information under our control, information about the ways in which that information is being used and a description of the individuals and organizations to whom that information has been disclosed. We will make the information available within 30 days or provide written notice where additional time is required to fulfil the request.
In some situations we may not be able to provide access to certain personal information. This may be the case where, for example, disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual, the personal information is protected by solicitor/client privilege, the information was collected for the purpose of an investigation or where disclosure of the information would reveal confidential commercial information that, if disclosed, could harm our competitive position. We may also be prevented by law from providing access to certain personal information. When an access request is refused, we will notify you in writing, document the reasons for refusal and outline further steps which are available to you.
In most cases, we rely on you to ensure that your information is current, complete and accurate. If you demonstrate the inaccuracy or incompleteness of personal information, we will amend the information as required. If appropriate, we will send the amended information to third parties to whom the information has been disclosed. When a challenge regarding the accuracy of personal information is not resolved to your satisfaction, we will annotate the personal information under its control with a note that the correction was requested but not made.
Newsletters and Communications from Us
We may send newsletters or other promotional or informational emails to you. These emails may include promotions for our Services and the services of third parties. If you click on a link in an email promoting a third-party services, that link may take you to the third party’s website. Please see the Third Party Websites section below for more information. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail, or by changing your Account Settings. In your Account Settings, you may indicate from which distribution lists you would like to have your name removed. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
You may also withdraw your consent to our collections, uses and disclosures of your information at any time, subject to legal, contractual and other restrictions, provided that you give reasonable notice of withdrawal of consent to us. On receipt of notice of withdrawal of consent, we will inform you of the likely consequences of the withdrawal of consent, which may include our inability to provide certain services for which that information is necessary.
Ladders has implemented and follows security measures to protect the personal information we collect. Unfortunately, no data security measures are 100% secure. We cannot ensure or warranty the security of your personal information.
Third Party Websites
Our Site and emails may contain links to other websites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are entering another website over which Ladders has no control and will bear no responsibility. Often these websites require you to enter your personal information as you apply for a job directly with the hiring company. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on all such websites as their policies may differ from ours.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident then under Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.83 you may request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information about the personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to us at the contact information provided below. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for your response.
Our Services are not targeted to children under thirteen (13) years of age and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will promptly delete such personal information from our systems.
Published by Ladders, Inc.55 Water Street
New York, NY 10041
Phone: (866) 800-4640